Wednesday, January 23, 2013

(Garlic) Cheddar Biscuits - or buns...

Yes, these, I'm told, are like those garlic cheddar biscuits.  You know the place I'm talking about.....  Of course, I could never eat there anyway, the nasty shellfish allergy and all, but I really don't care.  It's perfectly fine that I don't know how their biscuits taste.  After all, we have THESE!!!  

This recipe is all because of Deb at www.smittenkitchen.com so I thank her many times over!!!  The original calls for all sour cream.  Loving my 0% fat Greek yogurt as I do, I swapped half the sour cream out and the yogurt in.  No one seems to care!  The odd 'bun' option is something I tried...and since it works, I'll make note of it here.

GARLIC CHEDDAR BISCUITS - makes at least a dozen unless you want buns...then I usually try for 8.  Breakfast sandwiches to hamburgers, YUM!

Mix (whisk) all dry ingredients THOROUGHLY:
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup potato starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder - sometimes optional...e.g., to use these for breakfast

Coarsely grate 1/4 pound Sharp Cheddar cheese (~1 1/2 cups) and set aside.

To dry mixture, grate in:
2 T. COLD UNSALTED butter - toss to coat/mix well.

Add the grated cheese along with:
1/2 cup sour cream, natural only please
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
Opt. - 2 T. drained chopped pickled jalapenos, to taste (from Deb)

Stir together til mixture forms a sticky dough.  Preheat oven - 425 degrees F.

Form biscuits or buns: portion out dough onto parchment paper on baking sheet.  Use your hands to finish shaping dough on the sheet.  Handle only as much as is absolutely necessary!

Bake 15-17 minutes.  Watch carefully!!  Try not to eat one straight off the hot sheet...you really want to let them cool a bit so you can really enjoy them!  I usually move the parchment paper to a rack to let them cool slightly unless I'm trying to keep them warm longer.  They don't seem to over-bake if left on the sheet for a few extra minutes but make sure the sheet is on a rack then!

These are GREAT with bean soup or chili!!  They also freeze nicely.  Make sausage patties ahead and freeze, too...combine for a fast microwavable breakfast.  And only 40 seconds in the microwave gets you a scrambled egg...so...who needs fast food?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment