Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sorta Kinda Mexican Meatloaf (ground turkey)

Disclaimer!  Having tried this only once, I hesitate to post this.....but you asked for it so here it is!  It was really good, fresh out of the oven, but it was equally tempting after being in the frig overnight!  I don't know.....I think I'm in trouble with this one!  Really easy to make.....even easier to eat.....

Ground Turkey Mexican Meatloaf - I used a 9x13 glass pan and made two 'loaves' (read: mounds) because I didn't want to clean more than one pan!

Use a large mixing bowl and use it to crush 1 cup of lower sodium tortilla chips first.  I used the measuring cup to actually crush the chips!  Make them pretty fine...

Put everything in your large mixing bowl:
2 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
about 8 ounces salsa (I used the sauce can!  'Used medium chunky...)
1 cup finely crushed lower sodium tortilla chips
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano, crushed
scant 1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp Spanish smoked paprika

(Increase or change the spices as you desire.)

Mix it WELL; NO 'chunks' of unmixed ground turkey allowed!  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Make two 'loaves' in the pan leaving a space in between.....and bake for approximately 55 minutes.  I used my instant read thermometer to be sure I didn't pull it out too soon.

For those who would like (can afford...) it, carefully 'sprinkle' another 1/2 cup of Mexican cheese blend over the tops of the loaves.  I didn't want the calories so I didn't...

FYI...  Because I used Jennie-O ground turkey, I had a little left over after taking 2# from 2 packages...so I cooked it up with a minced shallot and stuck it in the frig to use on a salad later!  Yummy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment