Tuesday, January 15, 2013

One-Skillet Turkey Quinoa Chili

I made this for dinner tonight...pulled a few ideas from here and there, dug around in the pantry, and this is what happened.  It isn't "spicy" but warm and flavorful.  Of course, you can make it any way you want it!!

Also.....a quick note to welcome non-family!!  I hear tell that this little blog name is starting to be passed around a bit!  Honestly, the thought makes me a little nervous!  I will always post things that I like...and I will always post the requests I get from my two favorite "girls" ever...but, if anyone else can find a little something to help in the crazy g-free world, then so be it!!

On to dinner!

One-Skillet Turkey Quinoa Chili - You need a 12" non-stick skillet WITH a lid!

Cook together until the turkey is no longer pink:
1 pound 93% ground turkey (OK, so it was 20 ounces!)
a small onion, chopped
at least 1 large red pepper, chopped

Add to skillet and stir to coat:
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano, crushed
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground coriander

Then add remaining ingredients:
15 oz can Mexican tomatoes (mine were stewed w/jalapenos and spices)
15 oz can tomatoes with lime and cilantro (I get Red Gold brand)
14 oz low sodium chicken broth
1 cup quinoa, rinsed, drained (I used red)
2-15 oz cans pinto beans, rinsed, drained

Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.  Cover and lower heat to simmer for about 20 minutes, until quinoa soaks up most of the liquid.  Turn off heat and allow to stand 5-10 minutes.  

Garnish with shredded Mexican cheeses, cilantro, a little avocado, a drizzle of lime juice, etc.!

I think I'll add another pepper and perhaps switch up one can of pintos for black beans next time!  Use whatever tomatoes you can find and play with the spices...I can't imagine anything will mess this "recipe" up!

No comments:

Post a Comment