Thursday, April 11, 2013

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

After too long an absence, I figured I'd start back up with something special!  "The Kid" thinks these are breakfast fodder as well as dessert!  They are pretty darn tasty!

About the chill time:  I've baked up a few after about 4-6 hours; all good.  I let some go for 24 hours; just fine.  I stretched some (unavoidably) to 48 hours; still good!  So...whatever floats your boat!  Of course, if four hours is sufficient, then, you'll probably just want to get right to it!!

Theeeeeeeeeee Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipe!  (original inspiration taken from www.food.com #35813; adapted to make US happy!)

1 cup unsalted butter, soft     Combine first 5 ingredients on low, cream on
heavy 1/2 cup sugar                                                                      high.
heavy 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, PACKED (add a little water if dry)
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla                                             Beat til fluffy and color lightens.

Blend/whisk flour mix as follows:
3/4 cup + 2 T sorghum flour
1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup potato starch
1 T teff flour  (just trust me on this!)
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon                 Stir into creamed mixture; mix
1/4 tsp ground cloves                       thoroughly but do not over mix!
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp (kosher) salt

3 cup GF rolled oats
1 1/2 cup raisins, packed       Stir oats and raisins into dough.  CHILL.
                                                  (See chill time note above.)

Oven to 350F.  I bake on parchment...  Scoop about 2 T of dough, round into "ball" but use palm to slightly flatten into disc shape, and place on sheet so there is nearly twice the distance between discs as is the width of each disc.  (I don't like kissing cookies!)

Baking takes 14-15 minutes usually but start to check at 13 minutes.  I wait for the "shiny rivers" on the tops to begin to take on a dull appearance but grab them before the edges turn from golden to brown.  You don't want brown edges!  (Well, unless you want crispy cookies.  I like them chewy!)  

I often leave them on the sheet until completely cool.  They seem to stay chewier.  Otherwise, I leave them on for about 7-8 minutes and then transfer to paper towels on the counter....because I want to use the cookies sheet again!  You can transfer to a cooling rack but this does seem to promote a crisper texture then...      I get about 40 cookies...

These babies are good!  THEY JUST ARE!  Freeze them if you have to limit yourself...but (I'm sorry to say) they eat just fine straight from the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment