Thursday, April 11, 2013

Baked Cran-Apple Oatmeal

For a quickie recipe, this is pretty good!  A 'rip' from a few recipes found on-line, I can't help but mess with what was probably a good thing already!  But here's how we're eating it right now!  (Actually, I'm eating most of it...because if I stick it in the back of the frig and it suddenly becomes invisible, I can lay claim to most of it "honestly"!!  Hey, a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do, right?!?)

Baked Cran-Apple Oatmeal - I used a sprayed 9x9 metal pan - 350F oven

3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond Silk    Combine Silk and brown sugar in
1/4 cup brown sugar                           in small pan; bring barely to a boil.

1 1/2 cups GF rolled oats        Combine next 5 ingredients in medium bowl.
2 tsp ground cinnamon                                                       Spread evenly 
1 cup (loaded is fine) diced apples (I like yellow Delicious)      in pan.  Pour
1/2 cup (loaded is fine) dried cranberries (mine were sliced) heated mixture
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans                              over oatmeal mixture.

Bake til liquid is absorbed, oatmeal is cooked, 30-35 minutes.  I sometimes turn the oven off at 30 minutes and let it "coast" that last 5 minutes.  Otherwise, I bake it for 31-32 minutes.  

Optional:  You can add a little butter (1T) to the Silk/sugar if you want a slightly creamier texture and "smoother" flavor.  Good but not necessary.  Any "milk" will probably work just fine, too.  I might try coconut milk with a mango/dried pineapple combo with macadamia nuts someday!  With toasted coconut to top?  Yum!!

You can top it any way you like or eat it plain!

No comments:

Post a Comment