Thursday, April 11, 2013

Crustless Quinoa "Quiche"

Leftover quinoa.....and a carton of coconut milk that needs used.....and one lonely broccoli crown.....plus a red pepper that shouldn't be eaten uncooked.  Good grief!  Then again, no problem!  This is what happens when that happens.  And this stuff is awesome for breakfast in a wrap!  Dang, I can be so smart sometimes!  This is how it went down.....

Crustless Quinoa "Quiche" - I used a sprayed 9x9 metal pan - 350F oven

Veggie prep first, then heat a little olive oil in a 12" skillet and add:
1 med diced onion (I had most of a red one I needed to use...)
approx. 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, 1" pieces
1 red pepper, diced
1-3 cloves garlic, minced (flavor increases next day so use what you like! )


Cook the veggies until almost tender.  I added a little water to help it along after about 10 minutes.  When ready, add:
1/2 cup leftover cooked quinoa (mine was red)
Spread evenly in pan.

While that cooks, whisk together:
4 large eggs
1 cup "milk" (I used unsweetened coconut milk)
about 2 T freshly grated Parmesan (I loaded!)
3 T superfine brown rice flour
1/4 tsp (I went 'rounded') thyme, crushed
freshly ground black pepper, to taste                Pour over veggies in pan.

Sprinkle with smoked Spanish paprika.  (I love it so I go heavy!)

Bake til set, about 25-30 minutes.  I baked for 25 minutes, shut the oven off but left it in the last 5 minutes, and it was perfectly set without overcooking.  Cool 10 minutes (or more) so it won't break apart as you remove squares or slices!

You could leave the Parm out completely and add a little salt for dairy-free.  Or, top with shredded cheese the last few minutes if you're dairy-happy!  Change the spices, change the veggie combo, add an extra egg.....use up instead of throwing out!

I'm really happy with this one!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment