Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pizza Quesadillas: Pizza Sauce and a wrap update

I don't know where this pizza sauce started...but this is where it ended!  It's easy, I always have everything to make it, it doesn't cost much, it doesn't take long to make, and we like it!  'Nuf said!

PIZZA SAUCE

6 ounce can tomato paste
6 ounce can of water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried parsley, crushed
scant 1 tsp onion powder
1/2-3/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 tsp sugar

Mix all thoroughly in very small pan.  Bring to simmer; simmer 10 minutes, stirring here and there.  (If you don't, it'll be popping all over your cook-top!)  Cool and use!  

If I delay the making of this, I'll stick in some cold cooked Italian sausage to get it cooled down faster!

OK, back to the wraps.....make a batch.  That's 6.  That means three quesadillas.  (I'm using less starch and really liking the fact that my flour mixes all seem to work!  Last night, 1/3 cup sorghum flour, then a half-and-half split of the next 1/3 cup - superfine brown rice flour and teff, and another half-and-half split of the last 1/3 cup between green pea flour and tapioca starch.  One of these days, I'll try it with NO starch at all.  I'll get back to you on that...  I'm tempted to simply grab a 1-cup measure and just dump instead of going the 3x 1/3-cup route...but maybe not...!!!)

PIZZA QUESADILLAS - makes 3 with 6 wraps

My stainless steel jelly roll pan worked perfectly...spray with non-stick spray.  Preheat oven - 350 degrees F.

Lay down three wraps on the pan, hopefully not touching.  Smear on pizza sauce.  Top with your favorite pizza toppings...I used chopped onion, chopped red pepper, ham, and shredded Italian cheese.  Lay the other three wraps on top, matching the sizes as closely as is possible.  Carefully press down on each quesadilla and try to tuck back in anything that falls out!

Bake for about 15 minutes.  Anything longer and they will dry out too much so use your own judgment.   (We're thinking a few chopped tomatoes would be nice...maybe adding right after the pizza sauce?)  Allow to cool only a few minutes; they cool off fairly fast.  I used the pizza cutter to make easily-grabbed quarters.

This is something that will be made again and again and again.....  I wasn't kidding when I said I'm now addicted to these wraps!!!

Can it get any easier than this??

No comments:

Post a Comment