Friday, February 22, 2013

Gluten-free instant gratification!

OK, my sweeties!  We might be in trouble here!  Just found a microwaved muffin-in-a-mug on budgetbytes.blogspot.com yesterday.  OF COURSE I had to try it...just now...and, of course, it's gone!  Oh, the possibilities.....

G-Free Microwaved Muffin-In-A-Mug (Blueberry!)  You'll need a microwavable mug.  (Obviously...)  I pulled out my favorite hot chocolate mug for the first try.  Will definitely try something a little wider next time as the narrowness most likely increased my cooking time.  Here is my first attempt (I added the originally omitted brown sugar...sorry...):

1/4 cup gluten-free flour (2 T sorghum flour, 1 T superfine brown rice flour, 1 T tapioca starch)
1 T brown sugar
scant 1/4 tsp baking powder        Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly.  I used
a pinch of xanthan gum              a small bowl because I buttered the mug.
a good pinch of cinnamon
a tiny pinch of kosher salt

1 1/2 tsp butter            "Smoosh" it into the dry ingredients.  I used a fork.  Dump mixture into the mug and then stir in:
2 T milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)  

I then plopped in 10 frozen blueberries and used the fork to poke them into the batter a bit.

Microwave on high...I checked at 90 seconds and wasn't happy.  Mine took 20 more seconds so you'll have to be your own judge here.  I didn't leave it in the mug for more than 5 minutes after I deemed it done since I didn't want the heat from the ceramic mug to continue cooking it much more.  (I'm actually surprised I could wait that long!) 

(So, Cousin, you DON'T have to hit up the g-free bakery now, DO YOU?!?!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment