Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Quick Oat Bites (Banana or Pumpkin)

The original recipe can be found on food.com, #483231, Healthy Oatmeal Banana Cookies.  I didn't change anything except to use melted coconut oil, at first.  They seem rather anti-screw-up so I keep making changes!  I'm posting the first two favorite combos with a few notes.  I'll add another version if I find one I really like! 

OAT BITES

Banana Oat Bites                                                         Oven to 350F

a loaded C of ripe mashed banana
1/3 C coconut oil, melted
2 C quick oats (g-free, of course)
1/2 C small dice low-sugar dried pineapple (OR mini chocolate chips, original...)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
(I needed no extra moisture but original says to add a little "milk" if too dry)

I used a medium scoop (~2 tsp) per cookie blob, plopped them on parchment, and shaped them into evenly rounded discs (just under a half-inch thick?!)  I have large sheets and can get the entire batch on one.  They don't spread so you can place them less than an inch apart.  

Bake 15-20 minutes, depending on how soft you want them.  I let them go at least 18 minutes.  (Seriously, I always taste the raw dough, since there is no reason not to, so it doesn't matter how long you bake them; I prefer non-crumbling bites so I bake them until they're quite firm.)

I tend to keep them in the frig because they age too quickly otherwise.  (It's not like I couldn't eat the whole batch in two days.....I just don't need to eat that many that fast!!)


Pumpkin Oat Bites                                                    Oven to 350F

a loaded C of canned pure pumpkin
1/3 C coconut oil, melted
1 3/4 C quick oats (g-free)
3/4 C dried cranberries (mine are sweetened)
2 tsp pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla 
1/4 tsp orange oil

Follow the instructions above.  Same, same, same.

UPDATE:  I kept changing the pumpkin version and now prefer my latest routineIt is as follows...

a loaded C of canned pumpkin
1/3 C coconut oil, melted
2 T pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 C quick oats (g-free)
4 large dates, small dice
1/3-1/2 C raw walnuts, chopped
a loaded tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
  

These crazy little bites are incredibly filling!  They are NOT sweet cookies, mind you, but they keep me from reaching for several other choices I don't need to be making right now.  I want to try them with applesauce but.....I probably won't.  It's kinda boring compared to banana or pumpkin!  I think an attempt using Greek yogurt is in order though.  We.shall.see....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris. I recently made your banana oat bites and love them! Will be making the pumpkin ones soon. Thanks for the recipes!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete