Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My Lazy Oven Oatmeal (Yes, it's creamy!)

I make this stuff all.the.time.  Seriously, once a week, sometimes twice.  I am addicted.  I still need to figure out more ways to make it though...this peach version was the first way I tried it and I liked it so much that I've only tried a cherry version twice!  EDIT:  A Blueberry Version is added after the recipe!!  (Not to mention, the cherry version is WAY more expensive anyway...)  I keep thinking I should try it with cooked apples and apple juice.....  Maybe someday!

This is the stuff that "told me" I can't eat regular organic oats.  The cross-contamination was still too much and I just had to give them up.  Certified gluten-free oats are SO much more expensive.....but SO worth it in the end! 

Also, I've tried other brands of 100% juice peaches and have yet to find anything that rivals Del Monte.  Just sayin'.....

LAZY OVEN OATMEAL - peach version - 350 degree F. oven

I bake this in a larger (2 1/2 qt) round casserole dish

2 cups g-free old fashioned oats       Combine oats with cinnamon, brown sugar,   
2-3 tsp cinnamon (I go heavy because I LOVE cinnamon!)                      and salt.
2-4 T brown sugar (OR 2 T pure maple syrup, my preference)               
pinch of salt

2 - 15 ounce cans Del Monte 100% Juice Peaches - drain the juice; make sure you
                                                                                        have AT LEAST one cup.
                                                                                     Add juice to oats along with
3-3 1/4 cups milk - I use unsweetened vanilla cashew milk      milk and chopped 
                                                                                                     peaches.
                                                                                      
Pour it all in the baking dish (spraying/greasing doesn't seem to make any difference so I quit!) and bake for 45-50 minutes.  It will thicken upon standing/cooling.  I habitually stir it every 15 minutes or so while it's cooling if I'm not trying to eat it right away! 

BLUEBERRY VERSION:  Omit peaches and add 2 cups blueberries.  I've only used 
frozen as that's what's always available in my freezer!!  Instead of peach juice, I use cranberry juice (Ocean Spray) because that's what I always have.  (Am loving the V8 Fusion Blueberry Pomegranate juice now!)  The end result is a bit thicker so don't hesitate to add a little extra juice.  It looks a little muddy but it tastes so good you won't mind!!

THAT'S IT!!  Throw it together, get it in the oven, and get the rest of your morning going...and, before you know it, breakfast is ready!  (My favorite time to eat it is actually in the evening.....kinda like dessert!  I feel I can justify it because it's certainly better for me than ice cream, right?!?!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment