Monday, February 24, 2014

BBQ Western Ribs (in the oven)

I completely forgot about this recipe until I started seeing the Western ribs on sale.  I have no idea where I got this recipe or even how long I've had it...but I used to make it often enough that it should not have been forgotten!!

It's a nice recipe to pull out when you need to feed a small gathering; it makes it easy to be with your guests and not be stuck in the kitchen!!

This is the way I make them with the pans that I own.  I'm sure you can split it up if you don't have the same pans.  Also, I usually buy closer to six pounds but it depends on how bony and fatty the ribs are...use your eyes AND your fingers to judge!!

BBQ WESTERN RIBS (oven style)             Set oven to 325 degrees F.

5-6 pounds Western (or country) style ribs  -  Place ribs bone-side down, on                                                                   A RACK, in a shallow roasting pan.  (I use my jelly roll pan and it catches the drips just fine.)  Bake/roast for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Make the sauce while the ribs are baking.  Then, transfer ribs to 10x15 pan/roaster (I have Pyrex that I use here.)  If you used a roaster, you can continue to use it but you MUST clean it out first.  Drain and wipe...  Once ribs are back in the pan, no rack, pour the sauce over the tops.  Cover the pan with a lid or foil and bake/roast 1 hour and 30 minutes.  Oven temp remains the same.  The ribs should fall apart very easily from slight fork pressure!!  (Your house will smell SO good!!)

For the BBQ sauce...

1 1/2 cups chopped onions         Heat pan to medium.  Add oil; swirl to coat.  Add
2 cloves garlic, minced                onions and garlic.  Cook til tender.
2 T oil 

2 - 8 ounce cans tomato sauce          Add remaining ingredients to onions/garlic.
1/2 cup (light) brown sugar                     Bring to boil.  Simmer 15 minutes; stir
3 T lemon juice (fresh is best!)                               occasionally.
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 T prepared (yellow) mustard
1 tsp celery seed 
1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper
1/2 cup water 

No comments:

Post a Comment