Friday, March 7, 2014

Double Chocolate Brownies

I pulled a recipe from food.com again (179831) and did the usual modify-and-test routine.  I cut it in half, mostly because I don't need a 9x13 pan of brownies in my life to haunt me for days on end...and because I didn't want to squander all that lovely chocolate if it didn't work out on the first run.  I also played with pan size and you'll find notes on that at the end of the recipe.  I used a bar of Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet and then just regular semi-sweet chocolate chips that I had left from something else.  I love dark chocolate but if you don't you can stick with all semi-sweet, like the original recipe.

I brought the butter and eggs to room temp; I think it makes the mixing go a little more smoothly.  I didn't want to risk a gritty finished product...

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES    -     Preheat oven - 350 degrees F.

1 1/4 cups sugar        Whisk together sugar and eggs until pale and very smooth.
2 large eggs                        Let set while you melt the chocolate and butter.

4 ounces  60% Bittersweet chocolate        Melt chocolate and butter.  I used the
4 ounces salted butter                        defrost setting and microwaved the chopped
                                                          chocolate until it started to get soft.  Then I 
                                                         added the butter and continued to microwave                                                          and mix until they were completely smooth.
3/4 tsp vanilla                            Add to sugar mixture along with chocolate mixture.

1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour                        Combine flours and fold into
1/4 cup sweet white sorghum flour                      chocolate mixture.
1/4 cup tapioca starch

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips                      Fold in chocolate chips.

Pan size and bake time:  I buttered a ceramic 8.5 in x 6.5 in baking dish (because I've been wanting to use this pan and I like thick brownies!)  Traditionally, use an 8x8 pan.  Spread the batter evenly.  Bake til the center is set, a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs, but not runny goo!  It should take about 30 minutes (it was exactly 30 minutes when I used my metal 8x8)...unless you use the pan I did and then expect more like 40 minutes.  

The sides of my chosen dish were a little too slanted, which meant the tops of the edges were thinner and, therefore, ended up more than a little crunchy.  I don't have a problem with crunchy edges as that is the first thing I cut out and eat anyway!  But if you're all about "fudge" with your brownies, make sure your pan has vertical sides.  Or try an individual-squares brownie pan.

I also think these could do with a little less sugar and think I'll remove 1/4 cup for my just-for-me recipe.  But brownies should be what brownies should be so what's a little extra sugar!!  I had to give a lot of these away.....or else eat them for breakfast!!!

                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment