Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Crispy Chewy Granola Bar?

When you have items in the pantry that need to be eaten, you find ways to make that happen.  Tasty ways!!  This is my first shot so I'll definitely be back to update this post after I try more combinations!

For now, I'll just call this.....

A QUICKIE GRANOLA BAR  -  9x9 pan, as non-stick as you have or you'll need to 
                                               line it with parchment paper.  Oven:  350 degrees F.

4 T coconut oil                                                                              
2/3 cup honey, maple syrup, golden syrup, etc.  (I used honey)  
1 tsp pure vanilla extract        

Melt coconut oil and honey together; then add the vanilla.  Allow to cool to room temp before combining with the following:

2 cups g-free rolled oats                         
1/2 cup crispy brown rice cereal         
dash salt                                                          
1/4 cup diced dried fruit (I used papaya)         
1/4 cup chopped white chocolate                         
(My option for these: 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut)    

Combine all the "dry" ingredients.  Mix thoroughly with "wet" ingredients.  (Go ahead and grease the pan with coconut oil, for good measure...)  Press mixture firmly into the pan.     

Baking took just under 25 minutes so start watching at 20 minutes.  If the edges get too dark, you'll have a major headache getting these babies out of the pan!!

Let them cool for 10 minutes or so THEN gently cut bars/squares.  Allow to cool further in the pan.  Re-cut and remove.


There are endless flavor profiles to be explored here.  Next time, I'm back on the dried cherries/dark chocolate idea!  Maybe some almond extract and a few chopped almonds, too!  I'll not use honey though...  I also want to try a toasted pecan/cinnamon with maple syrup version!  Once again, I'm in trouble!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment