Friday, January 31, 2014

Shortcut "Not Baked" Baked Beans

I have a request to post this recipe so here it is!  I don't eat these things but I haven't met a man who won't!  I will often fix them while the Cheddar Meatloaf Blobs are in the oven; the similar flavor profile makes them a good match.  Also, when I make them, I always double the recipe.  I guess they're just as good cold as they are warm!

I can't give credit where credit is due because I've had this recipe for so long I can't remember where I got it.  Sorry...

SHORTCUT "NOT BAKED" BAKED BEANS

3 slices bacon, cooked til fairly crisp, then crumbled; set aside.

1/2 cup chopped onions, sauteed in a little bacon grease til soft         Combine
32 ounces pinto beans, drained                                                          remaining
1/2 cup ketchup                                                                                ingredients in
1/4 cup (mounded a bit!) brown sugar                                saucepan with onions.   
1/2 T. prepared yellow mustard                  Simmer over low at least 15 minutes or
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce                      til desired consistency.  Stir frequently.
                                                                      Top with or stir in bacon to serve.

This dish is a pretty good one to take to potlucks, etc.  You can easily keep it warm in an appropriately sized slow cooker.

FYI:  I always use ketchup made with sugar.  As I use it sparingly, Worcestershire sauce is one of those rare things I allow in the house containing corn syrup.  I will continue to look for one that does NOT have it!  And NOW the caramel color in it is in question.  Even the FDA is looking into it.  ALL caramel colors are artificial and the findings show that they are a possible carcinogen.  Just what we need, right?  Who says Worcestershire needs to be brown anyway? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment