Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dare I say.....Chocolate Chip Cookies.....

I'm not sure I should post this yet.....but, at least, they look like I want them to look.  I do, however, still feel like this is a work in progress.....just so you know.  I'm going to add that the chill time should probably be one entire day.  Yes, 24 hours.  Twenty-four long hours.....  So plan ahead.  It's actually easy to throw the dough together and pop it in the frig one day before you need to use the oven for something else...and then make these when the oven is already hot.  I'm sure you can double this easily enough.....but only if you won't be alone with all those cookies!!  Or freeze the extras.  Seriously, I think 36 cookies is plenty of temptation!

GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES - makes about 3 dozen 

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp    ---Cream butter and sugars together.
1/2 cup light brown sugar                     I do this by hand with a sturdy spoon.
1/4 cup sugar                                              Then add the vanilla.
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg                                           --Completely incorporate the egg next.

3/4 cup 'sweet' white sorghum flour         --Combine all dry ingredients WELL.
1/4 cup superfine white rice flour (OR superfine brown rice flour)
1/4 cup sweet rice flour (OR, and I definitely prefer, packed almond flour)
1/4 cup tapioca starch 
1/2 tsp baking soda                             Add to creamed mixture until
1/4 tsp xanthan gum                                completely combined. 
1/8 tsp kosher salt            

8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips             Stir in chocolate.

WRAP dough in plastic and CHILL.  You can get away with chilling for only 8 hours but there may be a little residual gritty texture in the baked cookies...so, if you don't mind that, mix in the morning and bake in the evening.  Otherwise, try to wait 24 hours before baking!    

Set oven to 350 degrees F.  Using a 2-tsp scoop, make about 36 dough balls.  (I use parchment paper on my cookie sheets and I got 18 to fit per sheet.)  Bake 10-11 minutes, til just turning golden on the edges.  If you bake longer, you will get crunchy cookies.  Mine took about 10 minutes and 30 seconds to achieve "just right" status!  I left them to completely cool on the cookie sheets but should have moved them to a paper toweled area on the counter.....so do your own thing with cooling.  If you move them to a rack, however, you should expect them to crisp up more.

They're really tempting after about 5 minutes out of the oven.....  REALLY TEMPTING.....  And they seem to improve the day after they're baked...as in, "These are more like normal chocolate chip cookies now!"  Just so you know...  If you can use the almond flour, I HIGHLY recommend doing so.  (NOT almond meal, almond FLOUR.)  You will get a less "dusty" final product with more "chew" factor.  I also think they hold over longer so you don't have to worry about freezing or tossing any. 

No comments:

Post a Comment