Sunday, December 23, 2012

Giving Brownies a try

I figured I should move on to things we know most men appreciate...so Brownies it is. They will crumble if you try to cut them while still warm.....but we really don't care, do we? I think they benefit from being left alone for several hours after that though. Initially, they struck me as more cake-like but, after a night of waiting, they began to move to the middle, somewhere between the cake-y and fudge-y realm.

For such a simple recipe, this will do in a pinch. I'll eventually be converting a recipe that uses melted chocolate...because that's the kind of brownie that appeals to ME! I pulled this from gluetenfreecookingschool.about.com and tried it with the ingredients I always seem to have available.

SIMPLE BROWNIES
 I used a sprayed 8x8 glass pan and set the oven at 325; I was happy with the results.

Whisk together the following:
1/4 cup sweet sorghum flour
2 T. brown rice flour
2 T. tapioca starch
1/2 cup regular baking cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 cup + 2 T. sugar (I always use cane sugar)

 In a separate bowl, whisk together:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
2 lg eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Combine mixtures thoroughly. Stir in:

1 cup chopped walnuts, optional (but not here...)

Bake for about 25 minutes. ( Exactly 25 minutes worked perfectly for me.) Let the pan cool, on a rack, for at least 30 minutes (if you can manage.)

Cover them when completely cooled. Remember, no xanthan gum here means their shelf life is shorter. But it's a small pan so do we really have anything to worry about?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment